Sunday, August 22, 2010

Websense v10000 SQL Error

I was in the process of setting up a Websense v10000 appliance. The Websense v10000 appliance needs a Windows Server to run a Log Server that keeps statistical information about users web activity. When entering the SQL details into the Websense Log Server setup the following error was experianced:

Websense reporting tools do not work with this version of SQL you have installed. Upgrade to SQL Server 2000 or MSDE 2000.



I know for a fact that both SQL 2005 and 2008 are supported. The Websense documentation states that the Websense setup creates the SQL Websense database automatically. Because of this I gave my SQL Websense account "dbcreator" permissions. As a test I attempted giving my Websense account "sysadmin" permissions instead of "dbcreator". "sysadmin" is like "Domain Admin" rights in the world of SQL, usually a very bad thing to do as it compromises the security of your SQL server.



After giving the account sysadmin all was fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment