Wednesday, July 20, 2016

DFSR Event ID 6404 - The Replicated Folder has an Invalid Local Path

I was attempting to add a new DFSR node to an existing DFSR Replication Group consisting of 17 file servers.  When adding the server the following error was experienced.

DFS Replication cannot replicate the replicated folder REPLICATEDFOLDER because the local path E:\replicationgroup is not the fully qualified path name of an existing, accessible local folder. This replicated folder is not replicating to or from this server. Event ID: 6404


This particular error is generally experienced when people attempt a non NTFS volume such as ReFS to a DFSR replication group as documented on the following forum.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/8860b354-3bf2-43ed-9acf-07fa43931046/dfsr-replication-cant-be-used-on-a-refs-volume?forum=winserver8gen

 In my case, I experienced this error with DFSR setup on NTFS volume on a new branch server.

The customer moved the DFSR node from one office, to another office.  The C:\ "SYSTEM" volume was formatted and reloaded with a fresh copy of 2012 R2 with latest patches, however the E:\ "DATA" volume was not formatted.  As a result it has its legacy DFSR Database, Staging data etc.

To clean up the staging data I created a new directory in C:\ called "empty":

C:\Empty

I then ran the following commands after stopping the DFSR Replication service on the spoke server:

Robocopy "C:\Empty" "E:\System Volume Information\DFSR" /MIR

Followed by

rmdir "E:\System Volume Information\DFSR"

Starting the DFSR replication service resulted in the error above.

After playing around a bit more, I found that in addition to flushing all data in System Volume Information\DFSR you must also remove the DfsrPrivate link which points to the System Volume Information\DFSR sub directory for DfsrPrivate data.


After doing this, starting the DFS Replication service kicks of its normal DFSR Initial Sync shown by a state of 2:

Wmic /namespace:\\root\microsoftdfs path dfsrreplicatedfolderinfo get replicationgroupname,replicatedfoldername,state


State Values (Uninitialized, Initialized, Initial Sync, Auto Recovery, Normal, In Error), ValueMap (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)}

Need help with DFSR In Perth?  Click for IT Support.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! This is the most wonderful thing i have ever experienced. I visited a forum here on the internet on the 17 APRIL 2016, and i saw a marvelous testimony of Tracie Aldana from United States on the forum about the good works DR OSEMU. I never believed it, because have never heard anything about such miracle before. No body would have been able to convince me about it not until DR OSEMU did a marvelous work for me that restored my marriage of 4 years by getting back my divorced wife just as i read on the internet. I was truly shocked when my wife knelt down pleading for forgiveness to accept her back. I am really short of words to use to show my appreciation to DR OSEMU. For his a God sent to me and my entire family for divine restoration of marriage. Here is his email if you need any kind of help. ( Doctorokpamenspelltemple@hotmail.com ), Website: doctorokpamenpowerfulspelltemple.webs.com, call and whats App him on +2348135254384.

    ReplyDelete