I have used this tool successfully with previous versions of Exchange Server however with Exchange Server 2013 this tool does not work. I have tested PST Capture 2.0 with Exchange Server 2013 SP1 and Update Rollup 6, both unsuccessful. Testing has been performed both in my lab environment and at a customer site.
I logged this issue with Microsoft under a professional services support case in which Microsoft were able to reproduce the issue in their lab environment. This issue was then escalated within Microsoft and an issue identified with the tool with no fix provided. Microsoft explained they are under no obligation to develop a hotfix for this tool as the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) states that the software is provided "as is" and they are not under obligation to support it should issues or bugs be flagged with the software. This is shown in my screenshot below.
When attempting to import a mailbox with PST Capture 2.0, the following error message is flagged in the tool:
Import error: Error opening mailbox
This issue is generally caused by one of the following issues as documented on the following website:
However with Exchange 2013, none of these resolve the problem.
The PST Capture tool has a more advanced logging available for errors which can be found under the following location:
"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Exchange\PST Capture\Logs\MapiComServer 15"
The technical error which is generated when attempting to import to Exchange 2013 is as follows:
Failed to open default store - HR 8004011d
Hopefully Microsoft does get around to developing a fix/work around for this product as it will be a shame to purchase this tool from Red Gate Software and then not maintain it hence making it redundant.