- Present a new VMDK to the Virtual Machine
- Convert the NTFS Volume from Basic to Dynamic
- Create a Software RAID1 Mirror between the RDM and VMDK volumes
- Allow for Windows Software Raid to replicate the data
- Remove the RAID1 Mirror for the RDM volume.
To recover the shares we simply restored the system registry which can be achieved through performing a system state restore. Windows stores all SMB shares under the following location in the registry:
We found the following Symantec article very helpful during this procedure: