Tuesday, September 27, 2011

[FIXED] Exchange 2010 Single Server Installation Problems

Today I set out to perform a single Exchange 2003 server migration to a new Exchange 2010 server for approximately 200 users. What is a simple task for me had some bumps.

I installed setup my new Exchange 2010 server as a brick level deployment "all roles on one server".

I performed the following steps:
1. Installed the Exchange 2010 SP1 prerequisites for MBX, HT and CAS.
2. Installed the Microsoft Office 2010 filter packs
3. Performed the Schema update using setup.com /PrepareAD
4. Installed Exchange 2010 with all roles.

After installation completed successfully I rebooted the server. After the reboot I noticed I could not connect to Exchange 2010 using the console or shell. I checked to see if the powershell virutal directory existed... it did not.

For some reason only the mailbox role installed, even though the wizard said all roles were installed successfully. I went back and ran setup.exe again. I selected Hub Transport and Mailbox.. went through the install - rebooted. This time all roles existed. Although Exchange 2010 installed, it was unusable.

When I tried to perform powershell commands in the shell as an Exchange organisation administrator I received the following errors:

Exception calling "GetSteppablePipeline" with "1" argument(s): "The type initializer for 'Microsoft.Exchange.Configuration.Tasks.Task' threw an exception."
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

Opening up Exchange Management Console I received the following error:

Initialization failed
The following error occured when retrieving user information for 'user account':
Unexpected error [0x17B26A98] while executing command 'Get-LogonUser'.


To resolve the issue I performed the following steps:

1. Uninstalled Exchange 2010 SP1 from my new server
2. Rebooted
3. Installed Exchange 2010 SP1 client access server role
4. Rebooted
5. Tested exchange management console (EMC) and exchange management shell (EMS)
6. Installed Exchange 2010 SP1 hub transport role
7. Rebooted
8. Tested EMC and EMS
9. Installed Exchange 2010 SP1 mailbox role
10. Rebooted
11. Tested EMC and EMS

Only when installing in this order was I able to resolve the issue. Very weird, this is the only time I have experianced this behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment