Sunday, December 5, 2010

HP ML350 G6 hangs at Completing Installation on a Windows 2008 and SBS2008

I had a HP ML350 G6 server that was unable to complete the SBS 2008 install. Everytime it would hang forever at the Completing Installation stage of the Windows setup.



All hardware roms were running latest firmware.

It got to the stage where I had to start removing server hardware to find out what was causing SBS Installation to fail.

The item that was causing the problem was a HP Smart Array P212 SAS Controller which was connected to a HP StorageWorks Ultrium 920 SAS Tape Drive. After removing this card the SBS 2008 installation completed successfully.

Below is a picture of this SAS Card taken from my iPhone 4G:



I removed this card, completed the install of SBS 2008, then installed the card again once Windows was up and running on the system.

9 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with a DL360 G7, will give this a go :), thanks Clint!
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exact same problem here. Your solution worked.

    Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. or remove the the DVD or dismount the ISO file. After a couple of hours i decided to install the SBS on a physical HW and convert it later on to a VM.
    After removing the DVD from the ESX host the setup worked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proliang DL380 G7, SBS2008.
    Exact same problem here. Your solution worked.
    Thanks.
    Jirka N.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another common problem is if you have no network cable is plugged in (I assume that a network connection is also required). See more here: http://www.nag.co.za/forums/showthread.php?16813-SBS-2011-Completing-Install-Problem

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have the problem with the installation of my server HP PROLIANT ML350 G6.

    when i begin the installation with HP smartstart cd, in the step of formating the hard disk drive, i have this message :

    "partitioning has failed unable to continue could not update disk mbr code"

    please i need you help for result that.

    Note: when i run to the BIOS, i see the two hard disk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This special blog is without a doubt cool and exact. I have selected positive a lot of Useful information out of this source. I’d love to visit it more than and over again. Thanks allot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What happens when you are installing to raid drives that require this card to be present? Having this problem, using HP smartstart, unplugged everything I can, but to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your article, hope to try harder, I will always support you.I hope you continue to creation, I have paid attention to you.

    ReplyDelete